THIS FUN AND ENGAGING WORKSHOP INCLUDES:
- A lively icebreaker that’s sure to get the girls talking and laughing
- Three 55-minute breakout sessions (see details below)
- An informative and inspiring panel discussion led by local high school girls
- A delicious and health snack and dinner
- A special gift to remember and reinforce the Trek experience
HERE IS A SAMPLE SCHEDULE FOR YOUR DAY:
|8:45 – 9:00||Check-in||Main Entrance|
|9:00 – 9:25||Ice Breaker & Welcome||One of the Gyms|
|9:30 – 10:25||Breakout Session: Self Discovery||Trek Room 3|
|10:30 – 11:25||Breakout Session: Friendships||Trek Room 2|
|11:30 – 11:55||Lunch Served||Cafeteria|
|Noon – 12:20||HS Panel Discussion||A large room TBD|
|12:25 – 1:25||Breakout Session: Self-Care||Trek Room 6|
|1:25 – 1:30||Closing Ceremony||Library|
All girls will participate in each of these scheduled events for the same amount of time listed above, but not necessarily in the order of the time slots above. Each girl will be assigned to a group of no more than 12 girls with whom she will travel through her schedule for the day. All girls will participate in opening and closing ceremonies together, and will eat lunch at the same time.
Each girl will participate in each of these scheduled events for the same amount of time listed above, but not necessarily in the order of the time slots listed. Each girl will be assigned to a group of 6 to 12 girls with whom she will travel through her schedule for the day. All the girls will come together for the opening and closing ceremonies, lunch and the panel discussion.
Breakout Session: Self Discovery
- Explore how our “celebrity” and selfie culture overly emphasizes our external appearance, image and what we do rather than who we are. Consider how easy it is to craft a self-image or persona (online or in person) based on how you want the world to see you, not necessary one that reflects who you really are.
- Reflect on the variety of attributes that make us who we are. Consider how our real self takes time to explore and evolve and can be hidden from others, especially when we are focused on “fitting in” or cultivating a persona to please others. The more we know and like ourselves, the easier it is to be authentic, make decisions that align with our values, and have a better middle school experience.
- Recognize that self-worth is fundamentally how we feel about ourselves, not a reflection of others’ opinions or how we feel about our cultivated image
Breakout Session: Self-Care
- Learn how to combat stress by practicing self-care through eating, sleeping, breathing and moving strategies
- Learn basic deep breathing, visualization and yoga poses for stress management
Breakout Session 3: Friendships
- Learn how to be more empathic, accepting and inclusive of others (rather than judgmental and exclusive)
- Explore how the need to belong to a group can result in conflict and drama
- Learn how to manage changing friendships (losing some, gaining others)